Friday, June 29, 2007

Thai Chicken Salad

I love to cook--I do it everyday and most often than not for lunch and dinner. On weekends, breakfast too! My daughter is used to home cooked meals and if you say dinner is just ham and cheese she would be so disappointed. I learned to cook when I was 9 or 10. My mother encouraged me to cook and if I didn't like the food my mom would say "Go and cook what you want then." I have decided to share some of my favorite recipes. My friends especially like my eggrolls and oriental noodles but I am the type of cook that doesn't measure, unless it is a new recipe I am following. Most of the everyday stuff I cook (and parties) are from memory handed down to me by my mother and close relatives. I will slowly try to write them down so I can share them here and of course the ones I have collected throughout the years (with measurements).

I am not a salad eater--I would rather have lots and lots of vegetables with some meat mixed in and Jasmine rice. If my main meal is a salad it has to have meat in it! Here's one that I like but I forgot to take a picture of it when I made it the other day. I have this written down in a tattered piece of paper for years-- try it and let me know what you think.

Thai Chicken Salad

Serves 6
Nutrition per serving: 175 calories, 28g. protein, 8g. carb, 3 g. fat,64g chol.

4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1/2 c bean sprouts
2 bell peppers
1 bag mixed greens

Dressing
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 lime (juice oly)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder
2T Teriyaki sauce
1 T water
3 T rice wine vinegar
2 T ginger (fresh grated)
4 scallions (chopped)
1/2 c basil leaves (fresh chopped)
1/2 c mint leaves (fresh chopped)--I don't like mint leaves so I substitute it with more salad greens

Poach chicken in salted water until opaque. Drain and shred into pieces. Combine dressing ingredients and toss with chicken. Add sprouts and peppers. Serve over mixed greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment